Thursday, June 10, 2021

Open Mic Poetry Slam 2021

The final event of the season, Poetry Slam 2021, was conducted virtually this year. Attendees read poems by Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes, A.A. Milne and Emily Dickinson as well as poems they had written themselves.

At the end of the event, the group collaborated to create their own version of "I Rise" inspired by the famous Maya Angelou poem. 


 I RISE (written by the Open Mic Participants 6-9-21) 
 I RISE with the sun waiting for the blessings of the day. My spirit is awakening, opening my heart to the coming hours, minutes, day. 
 I RISE with hopes of beauty for the day that is sunny and makes us all feel special. 
 I RISE because I must. I RISE because I can. 
 I RISE with arms outstretched, ready to embrace all that the day has to offer. 
 I RISE I follow my nose to the kitchen where pancakes release their aroma. 
 I RISE longing for my first cup of coffee and eager to write in my gratitude journal. 
 I RISE to create with others a bright new day with justice for all. 
 I RISE wishing for love and peace at home and in the world. 
 I RISE to be now, to sing to swing, to rap, to speak, to be part of what’s now, to embrace the new. Wow! 
 I RISE with joy and hope, for the morn, for the day, for the future, for the family, for the world, 
 for my dreams.
 I RISE to feed the cat and start a new day. 
 I RISE with good, warm, loving feelings that will sustain me through the day. 
 I RISE with readiness to say prayers of “Please”, “Thank you” , and “Wow!” 
 
 AND STILL I RISE.


No comments:

Post a Comment